Sabbath Rest



I have been on a journey for rest, specifically for Sabbath rest (Shabbat in Hebrew).  What does Sabbath rest mean? What does it look like for me?  Why am I called to have a Sabbath rest?  In Genesis 2:2-3 God’s Word says, “By the seventh day God completed His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done.  Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.”  (NASB)

So, God rested and sanctified the seventh day, He called it out as something blessed, special, and unique.  In Exodus 20:8-10 God Word says, “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.  Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of the Lord your God; in it you shall not do any work,...” (NASB)

When I am RVing or in West Texas (photo above), I find it easy to rest, relax, renew.  When I am back home, the busyness of life creeps in and Sabbath rest can be elusive.  On this journey for rest, my heart’s desire is to slow down, have time for rest, prayer, and enjoyment of His creation.  

The Sabbath can be different for everyone, this rest might not be on a Sunday, but another day during the week.  It might be filled with family, cherishing God and one another, prayer time, or a walk outside enjoying His creation.  Or possibly sitting down for reflection over the past week; through the messiness life can bring and finding joy from a God who loves us so very much.

I am called to have Sabbath rest because God, Himself, set aside rest in Genesis.  He instructs us in Exodus to “Remember” it.  So on this journey of rest, I will not stress but invite God in so He can give me rest, relaxation and renewal of my soul.  Because after that, well, life begins again and until I am able to head out in the RV, hubby and me, I will need my weekly Sabbath rest.

God, the RV & me...









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buffalograss Who Knew?

A Labor of Love

The Past Two Weeks