Southern California (or as it is also known So Cal) - week 1

When we drove on Interstate 5 south from Lemoore to San Dimas, we drove on the Grapevine. This is a route I have been on since I was little. It was the only way my cousin Julie and I could visit each other. The Grapevine was named after the wild grapes that grew along the original road. The Spanish named it La CaƱada de las Uvas, which means Grapevine Ravine. Sometimes this route is closed due to snow, ice or heavy rains that produce mud slides. After crossing over, the weather is very different. Cooler than that of the San Joaquin Valley for sure (Lemoore is part of the San Joaquin Valley). Julie came out to see the rig and we had such a nice visit. Then we went to her house for dinner, and we saw Julie's husband, Doug, my Uncle Doug and Aunt E.L. What a great time catching up. I believe we haven't seen my uncle and aunt since Julie turned 50 in 2015. I messed up and forgot to take a picture of us all together.

My cousin, Julie. She broke her arm the first day back at school. She teaches 4th grade.

We are staying at Bonnelli Bluffs RV Park and Campgrouns for two weeks. The view is wonderful, and hubby feels this is the best spot thus far where we have stayed. His only regret is that his office view is not the view overlooking the hills. There is a small airport down in the canyon and we have watched small planes, fancy personal jets and helicopters fly in and out. 



Walking Gus one night I saw a beautiful sunset. "They who dwell in the ends of the earth stand in awe of Your signs; You make the dawn and the sunset shout for joy." Psalm 65:8 We also saw some cute bunnies! They were so funny, standing still like a statue, like if they stayed still, we could not see them. Their fluffy tails are just too cute to me and so wanted to take one as a pet. 




We had a fun time visiting with my Uncle George and Aunt Anne as well. We went to their house Monday night for dinner, and they came over to see the rig and we went out to dinner Thursday night.  






Saturday, we went to San Juan Capistrano in search for another Road Food Book restaurant, El Campeon. It was very tasty, and hubby and I enjoyed our food. No place to sit inside, so we ate it in the truck. I had a tostada and hubby had a burrito, we both chose barbacoa (sauced roast beef), very different than the way it is prepared in Texas. Very busy place, if you are ever in San Juan Capistrano and like a little spicy Mexican food, I highly recommend El Campeon.


We walked around Mission San Juan Capistrano after lunch. Fun fact: Mission San Juan Capistrano is known as the "Jewel of the California Missions”, and it welcomes over 300,000 visitors each year. It was a nice day to be outside and walk around the mission and visit two churches. One is inside the mission walls. Such beautiful grounds and they are trying to keep up with this mission and all the history. It was truly peaceful to be here.






I have so many more pictures to show you, but I am having technical difficulties, so sorry about that. I will try to post more mission and church pictures next week.

 

This afternoon, we head out to the Huntington Library, Art Museum, and Botanical Gardens on some free passes that my Uncle George and Aunt Anne gave us. We were also able to meet up for dinner with one of hubby's co-worker. I will share all about that experience next time.


If there is something special you would like me to take a picture of, please let me know!
 
Drop a comment for me and let me know your thoughts on the blog.
 
God, the RV & me...




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buffalograss Who Knew?

A Labor of Love

The Past Two Weeks