San Diego part 2

"You’re braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." A.A. Mine (Author/Poet). Just wanted to start you off today with a little inspiration. I think during these times positive thoughts should be on our minds.

Another beautiful week in San Diego! Hubby and I had a great time and the weather cooled off, that was a nice relief. Before I tell you about our week, I need to share why San Diego is so special. 

In 1981, I met my hubby. He, Thor and Todd took a road trip from Texas to California. Thor used to live down the street from me in California and to be totally honest with you, he was my 8th and some of 9th grade boyfriend. He had a picture of me that hubby saw and so my man wanted to meet me. So, he came to my house in the summer of 1981. After that, he would write me letters via snail mail, he was good at that, me not so much. Then in 1982, I went to college in the San Diego area. Thor's dad (he was in the Navy) was transferred to San Diego. Hubby came down to see him and we decided to start long distance dating. Something I wasn't really that good at doing. We had our weekly calls, hubby sent me money for the payphone. My how times have changed. We dated for over a year and a half and then I couldn’t keep up with the long distance and we chose to be friends. We would talk from time to time, but not until 1986 did we decide to try long distance again. Both out of college, hubby having a good job, Tara and I would fly out once a month, or hubby would fly to us. Then hubby proposed to me on one of our trips to San Diego. Actually, on Coronado Island. We had a small wedding at my grandparents’ house, and rest as they say, was history. 

Inside my grandparents' home.

September 2, 1987

We have had a lot of fun in San Diego over the years. When we would come out to California to visit my parents, we would also visit with Thor. To this day, our children call Thor, Uncle Thor.

Todd, Thor, and Hubby

So, on to what happened this past week. Sunday, we were on our own and decided to venture out to a "Road Food" book restaurant. It was a fun place with such fun paintings on their walls. We really enjoyed it. Hubby enjoyed his dinner and mine was ok. I should know better than to order chicken fried steak and mashed potatoes if I haven't eaten there before. Not all gravy is the same. Just saying.


Hob Nob Hill, San Diego, CA




I saw this amazing house that was built in 1887. It is a large Queen Anne that was built for Elisha Swift Torrance, a prominent San Diego attorney. The house has a gabled Dutch roof and has many patterns of ornamental shingles. Fun fact: Mr. Torrance later became a superior court judge.



After our dinner, I felt like walking, so we ventured over to Seaport Village. I must confess, I love going there. Not sure what it is, but I have always enjoyed the quaint shops, the food and just people watching. With such amazing weather, it is a fun place to enjoy the outdoors.


In the distance, you can see the Coronado bridge.

Monday, we headed over to Thor's for steak night and football. It was fun and we enjoyed time with him and his neighbors. Tuesday, we headed out to Ernie and Del's for fabulous Mexican food and lumpia (I love it - if you haven't ever had it, you are missing out!). Wednesday, we went to a "Road Food" book restaurant. It is a Jewish deli (yum) and I really wanted to check it out!


Online, it said it was open until 5:00pm, so we rushed over there only to find out that they close the dining area at 3:00pm. I was bummed. I will go this week and check it out and bring home yummy things for hubby and I to consume. Instead, we went to an old time favorite of mine.



It wasn't that bad; I was able to eat a slice of sugar-free apple pie. I was a little nervous but didn't get sick or have any low sugar issues. So that was good!
 
It was a whirlwind of a week as we headed back to Thor's on Thursday for BBQ and football. Hubby was having "guys weekend", so Friday I was able to stay at the rig to sit, relax and do some housework. I also watched two of my favorite movies, “French Kiss” and “A Knights Tale”. Saturday, back at Thor's for a seafood BBQ. I took Gus over to Albert's brother's house so he could have a play date and spend the night. This way I was able to spend the night with hubby and then home today.
 
I have also decided to be more intentional about walking. Gus isn't a fan just yet. He hasn't had to walk this much since Galveston last February. Oh, well, we both need to get into shape. "The soul of the sluggard craves and gets nothing, while the soul of the diligent is richly supplied." Proverbs 13:4 (ESV)
 
We will be here for a few more weeks, can't wait to share.

If there is something special you would like me to take a picture of, please let me know!
 
Drop a comment for me and let me know your thoughts on the blog.
 
God, the RV & me...










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buffalograss Who Knew?

A Labor of Love

The Past Two Weeks