Macon, Georgia

 What a wonderful past week the Lord gave us. A couple of days it was cold, but all in all, nice weather. Even sat outside a couple of nights with a fire going. The lake in the background is Lake Tobesokfee. Fun fact: the lake was created in 1960 by damming the Tobesofkee River. I tried to find out where the word Tobesokfee came from, but there are only theories about this word. The four-syllable name (to-ba-SAK-ki) is a corrupt form of Muskogee (Creek Indian) language. The Indian word only refers to the river not the lake. It is sad that it has become lost in translation. "Let you speech always be with grace as though seasoned with salt, so that you will know how you should respond to each person". Colossians 4:6 (NASB)

Our site for the week.

Enjoying the lovely weather.

Went out to eat at the Fish n' Pig restaurant on Tuesday night. It is also on Lake Tobesokfee. The food was decent, and the service was friendly. Hubby and I shared shrimp and ribs. I wouldn't mind going back if we show back up in Macon, Georgia.

Just fun to say you have been at the Fish n' Pig for dinner.

We went and explored a little bit of downtown Macon. I enjoy looking at old buildings and was excited to see some built in the 1800's and early 1900's. The 1842 Inn is a four-diamond AAA and American Bed and Breakfast Association award winner. One of the finest historic inns in the South. The main portion of The 1842 Inn was built by Judge John Gresham. He, his wife, Mary and their children lived there until 1889 when Mary died. Two years later in 1891, John passed away at the home of his daughter, Minnie’s home. 

 

The home was purchased in 1900 by Ben F. Adams. He and his second wife, Elizabeth, significantly modified the inn and it remained a private family home until 1930. Ben died in 1911, Elizabeth developed a mental illness, perhaps due to grief of losing her husband, and was sent to Central State Hospital, where she hung herself in 1912. 

 

The 1842 Inn became for sale in 1993 and was put on the market as a “fixer upper”. Two energetic people bought this frumpy yet still beautiful historic property and restored it to its former glory. It opened as a bed and breakfast in 1999, when it was once again it was put back on the real estate market. Perhaps, funds from the B&B didn’t quite financially pan out. In June of 1999, Edmund Olson and Nazario Filipponi, bought the mansion and the Victorian cottage. The B&B is now a success. 

The 1842 Inn

Private home that was built in 1878.

The Massee Apartments built in 1924 by 
Architect Neel Reid for Jordan Massee, Sr.

Lake Tobesofkee also has a disc golf course and that course has 27 holes, hubby and I played a few holes. Well, hubby played, and I couldn't throw the disc properly to save my life. I need a lot of practice. The first time we played with our son, Tim, I lost 2 discs in the water, I was NOT going to even try to throw them around the lake.


Hubby getting ready to throw his disc.

I was able to celebrate my 58th birthday, March 3rd, and hubby took me to a really great place for dinner "The Back Burner". It turned out to be cute, special and a tasty place for dinner. We started off with Shrimp Mozzarella cakes. They were so yummy can't wait to have some more. I know there is a rule about fish and cheese, but let me tell you, it was good. Then hubby ordered Lobster Ravioli and on Thursdays they have Lobster night, just my luck, my birthday was on a Thursday. Hubby helped me eat this and then we also had the leftovers for lunch on the next day.


A whole lobster with avocado salad, fingerling 
potatoes and green beans. 

We are currently in South Carolina and then headed back to Savannah, Georgia for three weeks. I will write about the birds, trees, flowers and state motto when we are back in Georgia.
 
If there is something special you would like me to take a picture of, please let me know!
 
Drop a comment for me and let me know your thoughts on the blog.
 
God, the RV & me...
 













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buffalograss Who Knew?

A Labor of Love

The Past Two Weeks