Yemassee, South Carolina

So, are you curious to why we stayed in South Carolina and not just the entire time in Georgia? Well, hubby bought me a charm bracelet for Christmas in 2020 and I will put a charm of all states where we have spent at least one night. When ordering the charms, we accidentally chose South Carolina instead of South Dakota. I needed to fulfill my requirement for this state and not have my bracelet be a lie. For Christmas this year, hubby went ahead a bought me the charms for Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia and Florida. As soon as April is here, all the charms will be accounted for because we will have stayed in all those states at least for one night.

I also have a charm that says, "RV There Yet?"

I might need to get another Texas charm, this one 
doesn't have the name Texas on it.

We are staying at a nice KOA, great spot with lots of trees and great internet. The sad part is we can not receive satellite service. I must say, I am pretty spoiled with having the satellite, we record a lot of our shows, and I am able too fast forward through commercials. I feel like last week was going back in time to the 1990's. The site has a cute lending library, coffee, beer and wine bar, as well as pizza and chicken wings. We enjoyed our stay.

Lending Library.

Outside of the Mermaid Coffee and wine bar.

Our site.

Lake on the property, had to watch out for alligators. 

It was so exciting to see Tara, Charley, Cody, Cameron and Chase last Sunday. We drove to Georgia and had lunch with them in the quaint small town of Springfield. We had Mexican food and it was pretty good. It is hard to please Texans when they eat Mexican food outside of Texas.

The boys are getting so big! 

Hubby and the boys. What a nice group of handsome guys!

Tara and I spent mother/daughter time together on Monday. She took me to some cute towns that are full of history. The first town we stopped and looked around was the town of Rocky Ford, Georgia. The population was 167 at the 2020 census. We saw the Foy Railroad that went over the Ogeechee River. A blog that Tara follows is called Vanishing Georgia. There was an article written about the town and a picture of the trestle of what is left of the Foy Railroad. It was damaged by an Ogeechee flood in 1902. The picture on the blog captures more of the trestle than the picture I took, not sure the year the photo was taken. George Heard built the first bridge over the Ogeechee River in 1886 to bring over lumber for his sawmill. 


Post Office.

Bank built in 1926.

Tara and I by the Ogeechee River.

What is left of the trestle for the Foy Railroad.

Then, Tara and I went into a cute little town named Millen. This town was first settled in 1835 along the border of what was the Burke and Screven counties. Fun fact: It was originally named "79" due to its approximate distance in miles from the coastal city of Savannah. 

This building was built in 1928.

Mural in downtown Millen.

This bank is for sale, it was built in 1893.

Tara had to show me the small community of Hopeulikit, Georgia. It is about seven miles outside of Statesboro, Georgia. The community was founded by Beatrice and John Paul Ellis, and they named the community after a 1920's dance hall. The state of Georgia has recognized this community since the early 1960's, but it remains unincorporated.


Tara and I in front of the Hopeulikit BBQ and Market.

The rest of the week we waited for rain and planned on meeting up with Tara and family on Friday night for dinner. Well, poor Cody got sick at school, so our plans changed. We will be staying at the Savannah South KOA until the end of March. The boys are off from school March 17th, 18th and 21st, so hubby took some time off and we will have more adventures with them.


"Heal me, O Lord, and I will be healed; save me and I will be saved, for You are my praise." Jeremiah 17:14 (NSAB)

Well, another new state with new information about their birds, trees, flowers and motto.
 
*South Carolina: Carolina Wren (Bird), Sabal Palm (Tree), Yellow Jessamine (Flower), and Dum Spiro Spero "While I breathe, I hope" (Motto) .

If there is something special you would like me to take a picture of, please let me know!
 
Drop a comment for me and let me know your thoughts on the blog.
 
God, the RV & me...


















 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buffalograss Who Knew?

A Labor of Love

The Past Two Weeks