Happy Thanksgiving!

I know that Thanksgiving was last week, but I just wanted you to know that I was thinking about you! We had a great time. First, here is where we stayed, again at Lake Conroe KOA.
Our site and a little bit of the cabin we rented. "Keeping it real" I needed 
an oven that would fit a turkey. Extra bonus, Tim was able to stay for two nights.

Last Sunday was awesome, both the Texans and the 49ers won. The 49ers also won on Thanksgiving Day, hubby was nice enough to record it for me, so when everyone left, hubby and I watched the game.

 

Monday was running errands and Tuesday was the big shopping day for Thanksgiving. We were able to get into the cabin on Tuesday and then able to start filling that refrigerator for Thursday. Tuesday night we went out to dinner with James and Robyn Vigil. You may remember them from last year. I knew James from high school, he graduated in 1983, so he and Robyn are a year younger than I am. It was so nice getting together with them. I enjoy our time together. Like James said, we are family. I love the family we get to choose along our journey in life.


We went to a new place in Montgomery, Suburbs. It was really good. 
We were able to sit, eat and visit for over two hours. Loved it!

Wednesday, we went out to lunch with friends we met while Tim was in high school. David was one of his band teachers and Tim lived with Jannae and Jeff while he was a senior. We had moved out to Hockley, and we didn't want Tim to have to change schools for his senior year, they were so very nice about allowing him to stay with them. Tim did come home on the weekends and out of my guilt I would fix him whatever he wanted to eat while he was there.
David, me, Jannae, Jeff and hubby. Love Lupe Tortillas.

While we were driving back home, gps took us a different route and we went through a town named Dobbin. So, as you know me, I went down a rabbit hole and found some history about the town. In 1878, the Central and Montgomery Railway built a line from Montgomery to Navasota. Two years later, a post office was established in the community under the name Bobbin. It became a shipping point for cotton and lumber in the mid-1880s and had a population of 250 by the 1890s. That number had declined to 168 by 1903. A few years later, the Trinity and Brazos Valley Railway built through Bobbin on its way to Mexia and Houston, making the community a railroad junction. In 1909, Bobbin's name was changed to Dobbin.
 
Dobbin was home to 100 people and several businesses in 1915. By the late 1940s, the community had three churches, two schools, two sawmills, two factories, nine businesses, a railroad station, and a population of 175. The number of residents fell to a low of 106 by the mid-1960s but rose to 170 in the early 1970s. The population remained consistent throughout the latter half of the twentieth century. Today it is still thriving as an unincorporated community in Montgomery County with a population of 18,956.


Picture I found of an abandoned church in Dobbin.

Thursday, was the big day, how did your turkey turn out? I thought ours was pretty good. Fun fact: when a turkey is still cold (let's just say the meat thermometer said the bird was 32 degrees for probably a half an hour) when you rub butter over the bird, it becomes a solid instead of a liquid. It all worked out in the end I was able to make the fixings as well. Confession time, I like the fixings better than the bird, but this was (in my opinion) the best turkey I have ever made. Maybe it does need to start at 32 degrees. 


Hubby starting to carve that big boy, 22 pounds.

Tressa, Scott and Stef. Baine was in and out of the cabin. He liked the ducks.

Happy Thanksgiving from our family to ours. Andrew, Tressa, me, Tim and hubby.

Friday was a nice and beautiful day. It was also a fun day because Meagan and Brittany came to visit. I had picked up a tri-tip from HEB, seasoned it, put it in the freezer and then hubby smoked it on the Ninja. Let's just say that Meagan and Brittany were our guinea pigs. It all turned out well. I made twice baked potatoes and some zucchini to go along with the meal. Of course, we had rolls as well. I talked about us taking a picture and then after they left realized we never took one. Ugh! It was great to see them for sure. My cousin Tim and his wife, Michelle, are the parents of Meagan. I should call her my first cousin once removed but that is too long, so when I talk about their kids, we just call them our nieces or nephew.

Saturday, we were on the road again. We packed up and left our site but went to the large parking lot so that I could go to the Farmer's Market. They have one every Saturday at the KOA. It was nice and I was able to buy some healing types of tea. Oh, also some soap. Love homemade soaps. 

This was the way the sky looked before we left. Another gorgeous day that the Lord has made.

Today, we head out to The Met to go to church. It has been a long time since we went to church there, but Tim is playing the bass, and we will hopefully be able to have lunch with Christian and Brandy afterwards. Last year, I was able to talk at the Women's Bible Study, so I was able to see them. I have already sent out text messages to those who will be there so I can hug their necks. Hopefully I will remember to take pictures!

Our site in Waller. We will be here for over a month.

"Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than going to a garage makes you an automobile." Billy Sunday. "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life." John 3:16 (NASB).

William Ashely Sunday was an American outfielder in baseball's National League and widely considered the most influential American evangelist during the first two decades of the 20th century. 

So, now begins the countdown for Christmas. I have things under the bed that I will need to take out and make a list of what I still need to purchase for kids, grandkids and hubby. Hope that the time between now and Christmas finds you peaceful and not stressful.

If there is something special you would like me to take a picture of, please let me know!
 
Drop a comment for me and let me know your thoughts on the blog.
 
God, the RV & me...
 








 

  



 









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buffalograss Who Knew?

A Labor of Love

The Past Two Weeks