Eye Doctor, Busy Errands and Rodeo

Well, we remembered to take a picture at brunch. It was fun and we had a great time. Thank you, Tressa, Tim, Fonda and Jim for joining hubby and myself. "Keeping it real" last week was hard, turning 60 was harder than I thought. I know it is just a number, but man, to me, it is a hard number. I don't feel 60, I certainly don't act 60, I guess I never really saw myself being 60. God's grace is good, and I am starting to feel fine in my own 60-year-old skin.

2920 Roadhouse

Fonda, Tressa, me, hubby, Tim and Jim.

With all the activity that went on with birthdays, the rodeo, and trips to the airport, Monday I just wanted to stay home, until I didn't. Tim was available for dinner, so we met up with him. It was a nice get together. Unfortunately, their kitchen was closed, but we had a pretty good dinner from the food truck that was there. So, that worked.

Paradigm Brewer

Tuesday, we went to the eye doctor. Pretty standard visit except for my right eye really changed. I decided to go with contacts again. Dr. Bailey gave me a trial pair and so far, so good. The only issue is that the trial pair isn't my exact prescription because she didn't have those in stock. So, I am writing this bog with blurry vision. I didn't want to cook again on Tuesday (all part of the 60 funk) so we went to Rancho Grande. No judgment please, but in less than two weeks, that was the third time we had food from there. 


Saw these pretty clouds after we were done eating. 

Wednesday a RV repair guy came out to see what the issue with the black tank was. He needed to order a part and will call us when that comes in. While he and hubby were outside, I started watching an episode of "Chopped" it was all about Chinese food, so that was what we had for dinner that night.

It was good and hubby was excited and surprise that is what I wanted. I can eat some things, 
but there is a lot of sugar in Chinese food, so I have to be careful.

Thursday, we went to drop off the Polaris seats to be recovered. They were ready for pick up on Friday. We also stopped by a shop that put our truck bed cover on to talk with him about a guard rail for the front. While in West Texas we see a lot of deer on the side of the road, and I didn't want us to hit one and damage the front of the truck. We will drop the truck off on Tuesday, can't wait to see how it turns out. Then after we were done with that, you guessed it, we went out to dinner. Captain Brad’s Seafood. It was our first time there and it was pretty good.


It was tasty.

Friday, I took some time to steam my new top. I wore it Saturday for the rodeo. We were watching a show "Claim to Fame" and I saw some of the girls steaming their clothes. I was all, "Hey I can do that in an RV" so I ordered one. I have used it quite a bit. It is easy to use. We also picked up the Polaris seats, got some parts for the Polaris and went to dinner. Surprise! We went back to Lozano's Mexican Restaurant. Yum!

My steamer.

Before...

After...

So good looking, oh and the seats as well.

We met up with Jeff and Jannae and had a blast with them. 
Good food as well.

Saturday was a blast. It was Ladies Night and we had so much fun at the rodeo. We arrived around 12:30 and the rodeo started at 2:45 so we were able to eat and get settled. The rodeo was wonderful and the concert was great. We had a great time after walking around and shopping. I also got my rodeo corndog, my rodeo favorite.

Myself, Brianne, Fonda and Meagan.

Fonda and Kelly.

Getting ready for the calf scramble.

Lanie Wilson.

The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo began when seven men sat down for lunch and created The Houston Fat Stock Show and Livestock Exposition in 1931. They wanted to preserve the cattle industry along the Texas Gulf Coast area. In 1932, the first Show was held at the Democratic Convention Hall before it was demolished in 1937. The Sam Houston Coliseum replaced it in time for the Show in 1938. During this year, the rodeo, horse show and downtown parade were added to the event.


Vintage Program.

Steers.

Winners.

Parade downtown.

In the 1942, the Rodeo welcomed the Show's first entertainer, the "Singing Cowboy," Gene Autry and the Calf Scramble program. The Calf Scramble takes place in the rodeo arena with several young students outnumbering loose calves. The student who catches a calf receives a certificate to purchase a registered beef heifer or market steer to show at the rodeo the following year.


Gene Autry

Fun fact: in 1952 the trail ride started on horseback from Brenham, Texas to Houston. It is a large event where you see cowboys and cowgirls riding on horses, in covered wagons along HWY 290. I have been lucky enough to see it in person a couple of times. Just happened to be at the right place at the right time.

Looks like lots of fun.

The wagons are different colors, fun.

"Two mules for sister Sara" (sorry that Client Eastwood movie is a classic).

"who led them through the deep water? Like a horse running on flat land they did not stumble. 
Like an animal that goes down into a valley to graze, so the Spirit of the Lord 
granted them rest. In this way you guide your people, gaining for 
yourself an honored reputation." Isaiah 63:13-14 (NET).

In 1961, the Houston Fat Stock Show became the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. It also introduced the new logo, "Bowlegged H" in 1966. That same year it moved locations from Same Houston Coliseum to the Astrodome.

The Logo.

The Astrodome.
 
Elvis, BBQ and scholarships happened in the 1970's. Elvis graced the stage in the Astrodome in 1970. BBQ contest began in 1974. Before the decade was over all four-year $4000 scholarships were increased to $6000.

Elvis

Prior to 1983, the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo solely funded the construction of the exhibition facilities on park grounds. In 1983, the expansion of the Astroarena was partially funded by the Houston Sports Association and Harris County. In 1986, Texas celebrated its 150th birthday with help of the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo.

Happy birthday, Texas!

The 1990's welcomed two George's to the rodeo, George H.W. Bush and George Strait. British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher and other world leaders visited during the Economic Summit of Industrialized Nations. So, the rodeo happened twice that year, March and a special addition in July.

President Bush.

George Strait.

Margaret Thatcher.

In the 2000's, the rodeo moved to what we now call "NRG" Reliant Energy where the Texans play. For the first time, all junior market auctions, the School Art Auction and Wine Auction topped a million dollars each year. In 2007, the Show celebrated 75th anniversary, known as the "Year of the Volunteer" as well as a 50th anniversary of its educational programs. A year later, the Show awarded more than $1 million to both Texas FFA and 4-H scholarship recipients.

FFA jacket.

4-H logo.

In the 2010's and beyond, the Show has welcomed more than 2 million people each year. People came to see the world's largest livestock show, carnival, horse show, rodeo and more. The Show raised student scholarships to four-year $18,000 scholarships. George Strait performed his last performance in a special concert-only performance with Martina McBride and the Randy Rogers Band. The concert set an all-time paid attendance record for any event in NRG Stadium with 80,020 people.

Martina McBride.

If you ever have an opportunity to see the rodeo in Houston, Texas, I, personally, recommend it. Yes, there are a lot of people, the sound system inside the stadium isn't the best, but all in all, it is worth it. As a matter of fact, one season I went eight times. "Ride hard, ride proud, ride like a cowboy" anonymous.

Have a most amazing week and may God's grace shine upon you and yours.

If there is something special you would like me to take a picture of, please let me know!
 
Drop a comment for me and let me know your thoughts on the blog.
 
God, the RV & me...






































 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buffalograss Who Knew?

A Labor of Love

The Past Two Weeks