Meanwhile Back on the Ranch

It has been an interesting week filled with highs and lows, temperatures that is. Thursday, the high was 100.9 while Friday the high was 67.8. What can I say about Texas weather? Monday, I was able to do some mowing, it is enjoyable to sit on the zero turn and just mow away. It was a beautiful day that left some color on my arms.

I am enjoying all the wild flowers.

Bird seed holder.

Yellow cactus flower.

The big beautiful sky!

Not sure what these are, but hubby calls them Ewoks.

"Advice from a Cactus: Get plenty of sunshine, Accentuate your strong points, 
Be patient through the dry spells, Conserve your resources, Wait for your time to 
bloom, and Stay sharp. Ilan Shamir

After I was done mowing, I sat down between the house and the rig 
to rest from all the heat and mowing  and then I  looked up. 
You know me, had to take a picture.

I am not sure what type of cactus this is, but it is in
 the ground and has beautiful flowers.

Tuesday, I left the RV a little after 8:00am (I know so not like me) and drove to San Angelo to get my hair done. My new hairdresser was nice and funny, and we had a lot in common. I asked Stacy Emerson (from The Met) for a reference and was very happy that I have found my hair guy. I had highlights put in, so it was a long day. Then went to HEB got some supplies and diesel. On my way home, a DPS car came racing by and I was hoping that it wasn't a car wreck and that I wasn't going to be delayed, but when I came close to the small town of Mertzon, Texas but to my surprise I saw two helicopters and then at least eight law enforcement and an ambulance. I found out that there was a homicide and then one of the local policemen shot the suspect. It was crazy. 


Irion County Courthouse, Mertzon, Texas. A small town around 750 people.

Wednesday was a nice day, and the weather was wonderful. After hubby was off from work, we went into town. I am having some shirts made for the July cruise. Hubby went to talk with a tire guy, the trailer (we use for supplies) has a slow leak in one of the tires.

Just some buzzards hanging out. Hubby went to explore and found a
 bunny that had passed. Guess they were trying to see who had dibs. 

Hubby took this beautiful sunset picture.
Thursday was HOT, but I still went out to take pictures of the cacti. I am loving the flowers and the colors.
We have some pure yellow flowers.

Some that will have a bit of orange with the yellow.

Purple/pink

That is the cactus that I showed you on "mowing day" 
just a little different angle.

I think the Ewoks now look like their are holding their hands in the air.

This one has more blooms that had opened than it did on Monday.

Friday was cool and we also went into town for supplies and to see about mail. I wanted to make sure we had things before the rain that was going to come in on Saturday. 

Iraan hosted Midget Wrestling last Wednesday night.

"Keeping it real", Saturday was rainy, and I was feeling a little down. I was thinking about going to for breakfast but was still in my pjs when I heard this strange sound. The windows were open because of the cool weather, rain was falling, I was in the living room and hubby in the bedroom. When I heard the sound, I called out to hubby to see if he knew what caused that sound. Lo and behold it was a fire. The rig receives power from the shed. The former owner used to weld, so he had a 2 50-amp breakers which then hubby turned into a plug where we could plug in the rig for our 50 amp need. The surge protector was on fire. Hubby ran outside, turned off the power, then went to get the hose. I was watching from the bedroom window. I saw the fire slowly die down and then hubby was able to put water on it. Let me tell you, God is good! We were home when it happened, not out to eat, it was raining, hubby was able to get out there right away and we just praised the Lord that all the pieces were there so that the shed didn't burn down or catch the rig on fire. Well, rain or not, we drove to San Angelo to pick up another surge protector and a 50-amp electric cord. 

It was a strange sound. Glad hubby is quick on his feet. 
"He will cover you with His pinions, and under His wings you will find refuge; 
His faithfulness is a shield and buckler." Psalm 91:4 (ESV).

This is where the fire started.

When we drove from Waco to Iraan we went through Eldorado, Texas. It is another small town, but it was cute. Fun fact: people in West Texas pronounce this town El-dor-raydo, not sure why, but here is some history of the town. Eldorado, the county seat of Schleicher County, is at the intersection of U.S. highways 190 and 277, forty-five miles south of San Angelo near the center of the county. The area was part of a grant made by the state of Texas to the Houston East and West Texas Railway Company in 1878, but the railroad laid no track there. In 1895 W. B. Silliman acquired half interest in one of the sections of land and formed a company with two other men to establish a new townsite. Silliman surveyed the site, named the new town Eldorado, opened a store, and attracted residents from nearby Verand by offering them free town lots if they would move to Eldorado. The post office at Verand was officially transferred to Eldorado in 1895, and by 1896 Eldorado had two general stores and 100 residents. The community's first school was established in 1897. When Schleicher County was organized in 1901, Eldorado was named county seat.

Elementary School.

The town grew quickly because of the land rushes that took place in Schleicher County between 1901 and 1905, and it thrived as a commercial center for area ranchers. Residents hoped that a rail line would be extended to Eldorado from San Angelo, but the railroad company went into receivership in 1912. In 1914 Eldorado had three churches, a bank, a weekly newspaper, a variety of businesses, and a population of 500. Residents voted to incorporate in 1925 but revoked the ordinance two years later because they disliked the higher taxes and the fact that livestock within the city was required to be penned; the local Lions Club began to circulate a second petition for incorporation in January 1929, and in March of that year voters agreed, choosing a mayor-alderman form of city government. The Kansas City, Mexico and Orient Railway built a line between San Angelo and Sonora in 1930; the track passed through Eldorado and gave Schleicher County residents easy access to outside markets.




By the early 1930s Eldorado had grown to 1,404 residents and fifty-five businesses; the population rose to 1,530 by the 1940s and to 1,653 by the 1950s. West Texas Woolen Mills was established in 1941, and Eldorado became the region's principal wool-processing center. Population estimates for the town reached a high of 2,790 in the mid-1960s, but the residents numbered fewer than 1,400 by the mid-1970s. Improved highways lessened the community's dependence on rail service, and the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad abandoned its track through Eldorado in 1976. The population of Eldorado was estimated at 2,061 in 1982; in 1990 it was 2,019. The population dropped to 1,951 in 2000. It is a nice town to live in where people are conservative and friendly.

Today, I do believe after watching church I am going to chill. Well, then we will head out to Fort Stockton for groceries. We were going to do that yesterday but with everything that happened it was also raining. It was raining in Iraan and even harder in San Angelo.
May you and yours have a very blessed week. God was truly amazing and gave us such a blessing yesterday. I hope you can see Him at work in your life this week!


If there is something special you would like me to take a picture of, please let me know!
 
Drop a comment for me and let me know your thoughts on the blog.
 
God, the RV & me...

 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buffalograss Who Knew?

A Labor of Love

The Past Two Weeks