The Days are Beautiful Here

I can't help loving it here in Iraan. "Keeping it real" if I could change anything it would be all the wind. Some days are better than others, but the wind has no respect for my hair no matter how much hair spray I use.

I could look at the sky all day long.

Nice, full moon.

Tuesday, we went to Fort Stockton to run errands. The trip, overall, is an hour less in travel time than going to San Angelo or Midland/Odessa. Even though it is only an hour, man it makes a big difference. We have a chicken place we like to go to while there, hubby was excited because they have a special on Tuesdays. Hubby also found some pictures from the game camera on Tuesday, so here they are.

Meet one of our Quails.

The moon is so bright. I wanted the video of this, but had to settle for a
 picture, wanted you to see the flashing red lights of the windmills.

I can't believe April is almost over, the days may be long, but time still flies. We had rain April 20th, so I went out on the Polaris last Wednesday to check on the cacti and their blooms. They didn't not disappoint.

The Ewoks are getting more and more interesting.

So many more yellow flowers are blooming.

Just love them.

The strange cactus that is in the ground.

More flowers!

Here are two Quails that I took over by the well shed. They were farther 
away and I zoomed in, didn't want to scare them off.

Thursday was a chill day. Fonda and I did Book Club via phone, she still went that night, since it was at a restaurant we did ours just the two of us. Hubby and I sat outside for a bit and then he air-fried corn on the cob and BBQed a steak, while I made shrimp and baked some small potatoes. You will never believe who is back and with babies.

The ugly Skunk Pigs.

Friday, we went into town. It has been an interesting week as we didn't have TV like we normally do. I must say, I am spoiled and love to have the ability to record shows, fast forward through commercials and stop live TV when I want, well, that was all broken. Don't get me wrong, we still watched TV and some DVDs, but life as I like it, well, not so much. So, all of that to say, we went to town to pick up our new Dish DVR Hopper 3. So excited!

The old one.

Friday was also a scary for Frost, Texas (a small town 50 minutes north of Waco) with tornado damage. I was able to watch news on the tornado and I am praying for the town and praising God that we were not in that area. 

A little history about Frost, Texas. The town was named for Samuel R. Frost, a local politician and attorney for the railroad. The tracks bypassed the nearby settlement of Crossroads, and within a short time all the businesses in Crossroads moved to the new town. A post office opened in 1887, and Henry Jones established a school the following year. In 1890 Whylie N. Jones built a waterworks to supply the town from a nearby lake. Fun fact: He also built a small steamboat, at the time one of the few on an inland lake in Texas.

Samuel R. Frost

Frost, Texas today.

Historic downtown.

By the early 1900's Frost had six cotton gins, an oil mill, several butcher shops, seven grocery stores, several dry-goods stores, two banks and three drug stores; the estimated population in 1910 was 702. The town continued to prosper during the 1920's and reached a peak population of 913 in 1929. In 1930 a tornado killed twenty-two people and injured more than fifty. Much of the business district was destroyed. During the 1930's the community declined, partly because of the Great Depression and residents' flight to the cities. Frost kept declining and in 1990 it only had 647 people and eight businesses.

After the 1930 tornado.

We had a tornado scare in Hot Springs, Arkansas and I really don't want to go through that ever again in an RV although "I can do all things through Him who strengthens me." Philippines 4:13 (NASB).


This is just a picture I found in case you have never seen what tornadoes look like.

Five facts about tornadoes: They can form in any month of the year, not just during tornado season, the U.S. sees an average of 1,000, they can have wind speeds upwards of 300 miles per hour, and they can form from both supercell and non-supercell thunderstorms.

Saturday, I got up early so we could go to the Farmer's Market. I must love them if I will get up early and drive for an hour and a half.  Well, from everything hubby and I read about the Farmer's Market it is open Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday from 7am until they sell out. 

Hmmmmmm not sure what happened, but no Farmer's Market. 
Went on their website and it said that it will open May 11th.

Thanks San Angelo news for misinformation. I got up at 6:45 for nothing.

So, after that disappointment we went and had breakfast, then walked around Fort Concho. It was nice to walk, and I enjoyed finding out about the Fort and the Buffalo Soldiers. The Fort was established in 1867 along the banks of the Concho River. It was built to protect frontier settlements, patrol and map the vast West Texas region. At full strength Fort Concho supported 400-500 men made up of companies of infantry and troops of cavalry, staff officers and support personnel. Today, Fort Concho is a National Historic Landmark. It encompasses most of the former army post and includes twenty-three original and restored fort structures. If you want to stay in a restored Officer barracks, you can. They rent out Officer barrack number one.

Buffalo Soldiers 1872-1894.

    A real tepee from a tanned buffalo hide.

Uniforms.

This is a six-horse cannon wagon. 
The cannon shoots from behind.

Hospital restroom.

I love this desk. 

For the officers.

Today after watching church, we will be working outside as well as inside the house. I would like to get some things done before we leave Friday to Corpus Christi. When we get back we will order a dumpster to be dropped off and work even more around the property. 

My prayer for you is that the Lord will shine His face upon you and yours this week!

If there is something special you would like me to take a picture of, please let me know!
 
Drop a comment for me and let me know your thoughts on the blog.
 
God, the RV & me...












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buffalograss Who Knew?

A Labor of Love

The Past Two Weeks