Phoenix, AZ

 Happy Halloween! Hope you receive treats and not tricks. Last week we arrived in Phoenix at the Desert Shadow RV Park. It is a nice place, and they have a lot of activities. A lot of people that live here are full time. Fun Fact: Phoenix was settled in 1867 as an agricultural community near the junction of two rivers, the Salt and Gila and was incorporated as a city in 1881. Phoenix became the capital of the Arizona Territory in 1889. It is also the cultural center for Arizona. "He who believes in Me, as the Scripture said, 'From his innermost being will flow rivers of living water.'" John 7:38 (NASB) 

 


Our rig is behind our red truck.

Halloween golf cart parade.

Last Sunday, we went to a friend's (mine from college) home for dinner. It was great to see her and meet her husband. I believe it has been 30 years since we last saw each other.  We also went out to eat  with them on Wednesday night to a nice Mexican restaurant. 


Kim and I

Tuesday night we went to a high school friend's house who I haven't seen since 1980. Ron and his wife Amy have 4 children and live in Mesa, just outside of Phoenix. We went out to dinner, and it was easy to talk the night away even after all that time.

Ron and I. I used to run on the cross country team with his sister, Theresa.

Thursday, we set out to get our Arizona picture for our map. We went to a nice park in a neighborhood and took it there. This Park also has a disc-golf course, our son, Tim, would have loved that. There was no water around, so if we had played I would not have the fear of throwing my disc into the water.





I finally broke down and went to In-N-Out Burger. We passed a lot of them in California, but here in Arizona I caved. Not as good as Whataburger, but sometimes you just have to do what you have to do.


We also had dinner at a "Road Food" book restaurant. It was tasty. Soul food in Phoenix, who knew? Mrs. White opened the restaurant in 1964, now 98 years old and she still drives herself to the beauty shop every Saturday. I would go back for sure!


Round three of my "on the road" project. Here are the state's bird, tree, flower and motto for the next three states where we stayed. I totally forgot to add another three states, so sorry!

 

*Idaho: Mountain Bluebird, Western White Pine, Philadelphus Lewisii (named after Lewis and Clark), Esto Perpetua (it is Perpetual).

 

*Washington: American Goldfinch, Western Hemlock, Pacific Rhododendron, Bye and Bye (Alki-Native American Chinock saying meaning, "See you again").

 

*Oregon: Western Meadowlark, Douglas Fur, Oregon Grape, Alis Volat Propriis (She flies with her own wings). 

 

Saturday, we headed out to Lordsburg, New Mexico and stayed one night at a KOA. We also visited a Ghost Town, but more on that next time. Today we arrived in Las Cruces, New Mexico and stay until Saturday. Then we will be on our way to Texas. Can you believe we have been gone for six and a half months? 

 

If there is something special you would like me to take a picture of, please let me know!
 
Drop a comment for me and let me know your thoughts on the blog.
 
God, the RV & me...





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buffalograss Who Knew?

A Labor of Love

The Past Two Weeks